And they’re done!! Well, almost. I still need to trim threads on about a dozen, but for the most part the everyday napkin project is complete! Now I can think about some fall, Christmas, and winter napkins!
They are a hodge-podge of designs. For the most part, I used scrap material, especially for the girls (the pinks and purples). I had about a yard each of the stars and baseball fabrics, so I didn’t have to piece as much together for Steven and the “grown-up” napkins.
Olivia had a beautiful basket that she wasn’t using, so she graciously donated it for the napkin basket!
And here’s the tool that made it all possible. The #64 hemmer foot. Wow.
I take the raw edge and fit it into the foot. All I have to do is keep about a quarter of an inch folded over and feeding straight through the foot.
The foot does the rest! It takes me about five minutes to go from a raw-edged 12” square to a beautiful, hemmed napkin! Okay, so they’re not ALL beautiful. There are a few tricks to keeping the fabric running through the foot well, and this was my learning project. So, some of the hems didn’t come out just right. But, practicing on a project instead of just running through some throw-away strips of material really did pay off. I have napkins and a lot of practice with the foot!
To top it all off, my utter disdain for narrow hems is gone. Yes, I am definitely getting spoiled!! But, oh the projects I can do!