For those who are curious as to what we use, we primarily use Sonlight as our main resource 1st grade and up and for most of our joint learning. For earlier learning, we use an assortment of resources including A Beka phonics charts and miscellaneous workbooks and flashcards.
Steven is...learning counting. With occasional reminders to not skip 6-8, he can count to about 11 or 12. He's also learning to count objects. With our new school schedule, he naps through most of school, but when he gets up he'll be playing outside the couple of warm days and playing inside with play-do and felt pieces on cold days. When he wakes up in time, he also gets to learn geography songs with us.
- Language Arts - finishing her last phonics chart. This week we will return to the first chart to begin working on spelling her phonics blends while continuing to review the sounds.
- Writing - beginning "Magic C" capitals in writing with the Handwriting Without Tears curriculum.
- Math - learning beginning addition concepts with number families, something which she considers great fun!
- Reading - One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr Seuss; Three By the Sea by Edward Marshall; and A Big Ball of String by Marion Holland
- Language Arts - alphabetizing; review of spelling concepts from this year; writing dialogue; contined lower case writing practice and copywork.
- Math - multiplication review of 0's, 1's, and 10's and introduction to 5's; sequencing patterns; review of money; reinforcement of carrying and borrowing; estimating height.
- Reading - Little House on Rocky Ridge by Roger Lea MacBride
- Bible - continuing readings through the life of Jesus
- Memorization - solidifying "My Shadow" and beginning "The Land of Story Books," both by Robert Louis Stevenson. We were scheduled to spend six weeks on poem memorization. The girls each wanted a different poem, and they were learning so quickly. So, we're going to work on both! Performances to come...
- History - finishing Middle Ages and beginning the Modern Era. Focus on explorers of the early Modern Era.
- Geography & Missions - SE Asia
- Science - finishing unit on the human body; beginning study of the earth, focusing this week on environment and climate.
- Read-Aloud - Cricket in Times Square by George Selden